Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Less than success...

I'm sure there are some dark souls lurking out there on the internet that were waiting for this to happen--but tonight's dinner was not a success.

We made a version of this recipe. Plus chick peas and some red pepper flake, extra garlic and ginger. To be honest, the night didn't start well.


That's a broken Wustoff knife handle, in case you were wondering.  

Nothing happened when I added a pinch of saffron to my rice.

 Yup, still brown rice. Booooorrrrrring....


Lookd like curry, smells like curry, tastes like something decidedly less delicious than curry.  



Matthew was clearly not impressed.  It's also important to note that we didn't even eat at the table.  Lame. 

Rowdypants however, in true Rowdy fashion, still wants a taste of whatever we have.  Unfortunately, it's too tomatoey and too spicy for LBD, he had dog food instead. Also lame, says Rowdy. 

Another interesting thing that Matt and I have noticed since not eating out is probably obvious, but for whatever reason, surprised me.  We've been running out of things. There is more room in our cabinets, there are more empty shelves in our fridge. We usually keep a pretty hefty running stock in our pantry and in our fridge, and now, in addition to using all the things we buy, we're using up what's we have and what's been in the cabinet for awhile.  In addition to fresh ingredients like produce and proteins, we've been having to add pantry staples to our shopping lists.  I can't remember the last time I used up the very last bit of coriander in jar.  That happened this week!  Instead of throwing leftovers away (pretty regularly, which used to happen) we pack them as lunches or use them as fill in dinners.  I'm suddenly aware of how wasteful we were (and are, still, in some ways) and how lucky we are to have a full pantry and fridge.  Even when there is "nothing to eat" at our house, we still have plenty, and that is something we should be thankful for.   

1 comment:

  1. That's a great thing to realize. I'm really proud of the fact that we waste almost no food at our house. It's taken me years to get to that good of a level of kitchen management. But I do think it partly comes with the family you're marrying into, Julia. I don't know about your family, but have you SEEN the fridge at Tree Lodge? Nothing gets thrown out, and while I'm never there long enough to know if food goes to waste in that cavern, I kind of doubt it. At our house, George will take ANYTHING leftover to school as lunch. Sometimes I'm embarrassed at the combinations he comes up with, and then goes and sits with other teachers while he eats it. "Doesn't your wife feed you better than that?", I imagine they're saying. lol

    Sorry your dinner didn't turn out so good. It happens.

    ReplyDelete