Monday, February 20, 2012

A Bad Habit, A Long Weekend

I have a really bad habit.  I get an idea in my head of what I want to eat and make and then I find a recipe.  Then, I immediately,without ever having tasted the recipe before, think of ways to change it to make it either better or more like what I feel like eating.  This weekend, I had a taste for carrot raisin muffins, and I kept finding recipes online with too much sugar, fat and refined white flour.  So I manipulated somebody else's recipe.  Does this make the recipe mine? Am I just a sneaky plagiarist?

Better Than What I Found on the Internet Carrot Raisin Muffins
1 cup (or a little more) raisins, soaked in warm water for 15 minutes, then drained
3 cups grated carrots (for me this was about 5 medium sized carrots, with the nub ends fed to Rowdy)

1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1T baking powder
2t baking soda
1t salt
2t cinnamon
mix dry ingredients in a large bowl

4 eggs
1/2 c vegetable oil
1/2 c almond milk (you could totally use cow's milk, soy milk, or even applesauce  here instead.  I had unsweetened vanilla almond milk in the fridge)
1/2 c brown sugar
1 1/2 t vanilla extract (use the good stuff, I don't need to say that, do I?)
Mix these wet ingredients together.  Beat well.


Add wet ingredients to dry and mix completely, but don't overmix.  Fold in raisins and carrots. 

 Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins.  I got exactly 14 muffins from this recipe.


Into a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.  (They smell awesome while cooking.)
Finished product looks something like this: 


Super delicious and while they aren't winning any healthy living awards, I find them totally acceptable for breakfast on the go.  

And now, for your viewing pleasure, some fun images and quirks from The Rowdy House:

No one at our house likes to put dishes away.  This is a problem because clean dishes in the dish drainer and dishwasher mean we let dirty dishes back up more than they should.  Motivational tips for this would be appreciated. 

 Matt started putting the tiny produce stickers on the side of our fridge before I moved in.  I have continued to do the same.  It's weird.  

The plug behind our mixer is so crowded, mostly because we can't live without our airport, which makes music and NPR consumption while cooking a breeze.


Liz and Nick came over and I helped Liz make a delicious tofu stirfry for dinner.  She's a fast learner.  Stay tuned for updates from the Wasabi House Blog.

Stir fry has been covered here at the Rowdy House before, so I won't get into that. However, Liz and I invented a pretty legit after dinner drink while the boys did dishes.  Rocks glass, ice cubes, one shot amaretto, one shot vodka, half shot banana liquor, fill with cows milk (for boys) or almond milk  (for girls), stir, drizzle with chocolate syrup.  Dessert in a glass! 

 
Rowdy would like me to mention that he helped.  This is is still up for debate. 

Matthew makes a delicious weekend breakfast.  Fried eggs, whole wheat english muffin, and swiss chard with extra garlic right out of the garden.  We are lucky people. 

That's our report from a lovely long weekend.  I will not mention any details of wedding dress shopping here.  Just know that it happened. To be continued.

3 comments:

  1. Is there a Wasabi House blog? :) I would love it!

    My only tip on the dishes in the drainer (because we had/have the same problem at our house too) is to follow the Flylady's morning routine which starts with shining the kitchen sink. Well, right after getting dressed "to the shoes". I rarely get dressed to the shoes at home, and sometimes my morning routine happens hours after I wake up, but when it's time to get moving the Flylady motivates me. The other parts, if you haven't heard of her are: make the bed, do a load of laundry and plan for dinner. I kind of/sort of do all those things most days. I don't actually SHINE the sink much, but I do try to get dishes done so it's empty.

    Wedding dress shopping sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I trick myself by saying I have to wash at least ten tgings sitting in the sink a day. Once I getstarted I normally end up finishing. I fold laundry with the same theory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, I just saw this article and it made me excited because I thought of you guys and hey, he's going to say how to get those dishes done and put away! But as i continued to read I realized, maybe not...but I thought I'd share anyway because it might give you permission to leave some out. :)

    http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2011/11/my-favorite-kitchen-tip-ever/

    ReplyDelete