Sunday, January 29, 2012

She's back!

I started my friday off with a less than green smoothie (honey greek yogurt, wild blueberries, strawberries, pear and pineapple juice).

So friday night, we just snacked.  I had some food from Whole foods I took to Julia in the airport, because nobody ever eats enough when they're traveling (except me, who eats everything...).

Let us welcome back Julia.  After her long absence in Alabama, we're both home this weekend!  She got in friday night, and we went for a drink out for a friend's birthday (Happy 31, Kerry!).  Great place, pretty good drinks, and a great atmosphere.  There were boats hanging from the ceiling, awesome brass light fixtures, a nice bar top, and the place was packed.

Saturday we slept late, and then started some errands including food shopping, and Home Depot, where it seems like I haven't been in a month!

We're building a table out of some wine bottles and planks of "naughty" pine (Julia likes that name better).  We'll show you this later, its still in process!

Dinner Saturday night was delicious.  Julia has me rate ever dinner we eat on a 1-10 scale.  This, I think, was the first time I automatically went 10.  Shrimp and Grits!  Some awesome barbecued shrimp over a cheesy corn grits with some roasted green beans on the side.  Her time down south must have inspired something in her...



BBQ Sauce, Bourbon, Shrimps... Delicious.






Sunday, breakfast was grits and eggs, and I put some of my leftover chili on top.  It was awesome.  More shelf work today, a few more errands, watched some christmas trees burst into flames down at the parents' beach, and some laundry and packing for another business trip.

Dinner was a delicious tofu and veggie stir fry.  And I made a crust for another Chess pie that Julia filled to take to her book club meeting tomorrow.



this is how Julia makes the rice extra good,  adding the dish towel makes a tighter seal on the pot and helps stop boilovers. 



Princess Crazy Hair strikes again. 


A great weekend.  Unfortunately, I have to head out on a business trip this week to sunny Hawaii, but hopefully I'll get some pictures and Julia will update the blog a bit while I'm out!

Recipe(ish) things for those who are interested:
Barbecue Shrimps:
1 lb shrimp, peeled, deveined (this recipe actually made WAY too much, tons of leftovers)
Barbecue Sauce (Matt bought some super tasty sauce from some hipster types at the hipster market across the street from the JFX market in Baltimore, I'm not gonna lie, I was a little nervous about it, but it was really tasty.)
1/4 c. Bourbon
Salt and pepper

It goes easy from here, clean your shrimp, into a bowl with them.  S&P, toss around,  cover in BBQ sauce, add bourbon.  Drinking additional bourbon is optional.  Grill on grill pan over high heat brushing with additional sauce as necessary for caramelization.

Cheesy Grits:
(again, this recipe made too much, by design so there would be leftovers for breakfast and otherwise)
4 c. veggie broth
red pepper flake
1 clove garlic
(boil broth, with red pepper)
add garlic and...
1 c. corn grits
turn heat to medium and stir frequently until grits are tender, about 20 minutes
take grits off heat add 1/3 c. sharp cheddar, 3T heavy cream and 2T butter.  stir, stir, stir, s&p to taste.

Oven roasted green beans are SO EASY, SO TASTY and NOT SQUEAKY when you bite them.
350 degree oven, green beans, olive oil, s&p, 15 minutes. Done!  Toss 'em around once or twice while they're in there!  Enjoy!

My stir fry is recipe free.  I use the veggies we have around (tonight: bell pepper, onion, snow peas, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms) and a variety of other flavors including: ginger, garlic, sesame oil, sesame seeds, chili powder, red pepper flake, green Tabasco, white wine, honey, soy sauce, salt and pepper.  We included some oven baked tofu for protein and brown rice alongside.
I start with onions, then add veggies from hardest to softest/lightest... have fun with it.

When a guy tells you he wants veggies for dinner, give him veggies!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see the table you're making! I can't even picture the wine bottle thing.

    And poor thing, having to go to Hawaii and all in the middle of winter... :)

    ReplyDelete