Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Rowdy house gets a little Rowdy

I love dogs. I'm also allergic to dogs.  As such, the type of dogs I can get are pretty limited to things bred with poodles, and some of the terrier types of dogs. I also think adopting dogs is a really good thing to do.  So, starting when I bought my house, I had been trolling the internets for poodle mix dogs to adopt.  I really wanted a puppy, but any small-ish breed dog would do.  But they always went so quickly, and I could never just commit.

So easter last year, a little more than a year ago, I am visiting my grandparents, and Julia is visiting her parents (we aren't holidaying together yet).  Julia's friend Mary peruses the shelter listings for fun, and is a fairly frequent visitor at the shelter, and she stumbled upon a little, messy, hairy, matted black dog named Timor at the Wicomico County Humane Society.  The description said he was a cock-a-poo, and that was good enough.  So Julia tried calling me.  I didn't get the call.  And she filled out the form anyway, putting at the top that she could take Timor to work with her.  I had no idea really, I did get a call, and it sounded like a 14 year old girl screaming on the other end of the line, so I really didn't know what was going on.  I knew they were looking at a dog, and they were filling out an application, but I couldn't get enough reception to find out the whole story.



Two days later, Julia got a phone call, and we raced out to the Eastern shore, and got Timor.  We then decided it was a awful name, so after much debate (Dirtbike? Morgan? ...?), we arrived at Rowdy.

And this is Rowdy.  He's been with us for a year, and he's become a huge part of our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment