Friday, April 8, 2011

The First Major Project

So, I'm going to go back in time to tell you all about some of the projects that we undertook to make this old house a home. When I first moved into the house, there was very little that needed immediate attention.  Sure, the water smelled of Sulfur, the only shower in the house didn't work, and there was no grass in the back yard.  To ensure that I could effectively carry out the work I needed to do on the house, I needed a workbench.  I've never been a fan of buying some things, I don't like particle board, and I like things that have a lot of hard wood and are very solid.  So I built one myself.

See, as I moved into the house from a smaller apartment, and I was moving in by myself, I had an entire concrete floored sunroom that was just begging to be a shop of sorts.  All it needed was every tool I could get my grubby hands on, and a centerpiece that held it all together.

So I turned to a book I found in my parents house.  The Small Wood Shop, the Best of Fine Wood Working. Great book, has a lot of projects and skills and tips that you could apply to your own shop, or small auxiliary room that you can cut out for yourself from the rest of the house.

This also gave me an excuse to use my newly acquired chop saw, circular saws, and my big drill, which hardly ever gets used.  Awesome.

Anyway, the table legs and trestles are bolted, there isn't any glue on the table, and the "shelf" is just 1/2" strips of whatever was cheap at home depot.


Now, the book calls for a beautiful piece of butcher block as the top, with accessory holes drilled in it for jigs and things.  It was great.  I didn't do that.  I used a nice piece of 7/8"great plywood.  Most of my various bags of tools and hardware fits quite nicely below the table.  I also added a vice (not shown) but the table was still missing something...


STAIN!!!!!

Next... Spring hits the Rowdy House.

No comments:

Post a Comment